Saturday, July 29, 2006

Ready for Race Day

On Friday I ordered a couple of WTB Rocket V seats at Bike World to replace those broken during the carnage earlier. I'm hoping a more durable seat will solve my problems. I've also been experimenting with moving the seat forward in the rails, and raising the seat height to 1/4" to 30.5". After some IT band trouble this winter I lowered my seat position to the standard 0.883*inseam (0.883*34.25" = 30.25”). It seemed to solve the IT band soreness, but I always felt like my seat was a little low, so I compensated by moving it back in the rails some. The result - broken seat rails (OK - Ti rails didn't help). We will see how the WTBs hold up.

I was thinking about going up to Fort Dodge today to pre-ride tomorrow's race course. I had ridden the course last Sunday, so the ROI would be minimal. Besides, it was stinking hot today! So, I went out for a quick spin (1.5 hours) on the Madone. I rode for a while with a female tri-athlete that was training for an Iron man in Wisconsin in September. She was doing a 100 mile day. I turned back at McCallsburg, where she still had about 80 miles to go. Wow! Good for her!

Tomorrow is Fort Dodge. I have done a full taper for this race, so I plan on putting it all out there. It will be hot, but heat does not bother me. I have a well-tested hydration and nutrition plan. I plan on riding the Fuel, but will take the 8500 just in case. The course suits me well. It should be fun.

No comments: