Sunday, July 16, 2006

Iowa Games Road Race

Christy and I went to the Iowa Games road race today. We were just going to hang out for a little while, but it turned in fun time with lots of Team 14 guys racing, so we stayed until the end. Thad also had the new team kits for us today – they are very cool.

We hung out with Sean, Bruce, Chris’ girlfriend (never got her name) and handed up bottles to the Team 14 guys in the feed zone. It was a good time helping out.

Several people asked me “Where’s your bike? How come you aren’t racing today?” I guess it’s time I get over this irrational fear of road racing (although after watching the Tour tonight, and watching Rik Verbrugghe (Cofidis), David Cañada (Saunier Duval-Prodir) and Matthias Kessler (T-Mobile). and go over a guardrail, maybe it’s not so irrational).

The Iowa Games road race was a bit of a death march because of the heat and humidity. After the race we gave Cory and Matt a ride back to Ames. They both rode from Ames to the race planning on riding home afterwards. I really admire those endurance guys. I don’t know how they do it. I think they are both going to do Guitar Ted’s Death March in August. Today was probably good training for that.

No comments: