Sunday, March 09, 2008

Riding With Kids

It has sort of become my place to play the role of the seasoned adult on many of the group rides I participate in. I don't mind. Most of the reason for that is because I am an old man living in a college town. The kids come, and the kids go. It's always a little sad when they leave, but there always seems to be a new crop on their heels. When I can keep up, riding with the kids is great fun, and it is a great way to build up my fitness.

Today was another one of those days. Today's cast was (from front to back) Bryan Moritz, Matthew Hoffman, and Becca Finley.

This was to be my view for as long as I could hang with them.

It didn't look good from the start. Do you ever have one of those days where it feels like you are going to get dropped before getting out of town? That was me today. These kids are all strong riders, and I wasn't feeling it. That's a bad combination. After a bit I settled in, but anytime even the slightest hill appeared, I was off the back. I hung with them for an hour or so, but knowing the bigger hills were just up the road, I turned for home. It was fun while it lasted.

I cruised home with the wind for a while. Then, when I was close to the end, did some 30 sec sprint intervals to make sure that I was totally trashed by the time I got back to town.

It was good day, and I'm still smiling.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Sounds like a pretty good weekend of training to me! Great work Paul.

Paul Varnum said...

Yup it was/is a great training weekend. I just got done with three more hours of basement work (remodeling demo), and am now getting ready to play volleyball tonight. I hope my team isn't expecting much from me tonight, cause now I'm really trashed.