Sunday, June 17, 2007

Green Days Crit

For the last few weeks I’ve been trying to add some intensity back into my training. I had a little lazy spell there for a while, but I’m past that now.

Because of the lack of training, some mechanical issues, some crashes, and some mud, I’ve been having a little trouble putting a good race together. Today I went down to the Green Days Crit in Johnston hoping to finally hold it together for one race.

My class (Cat 5) raced last. After I got there, I watched a little bit of the other races and started my warm-up. Knowing that my race would be short (25 minutes + 3 laps), I spent close to an hour warming up. I was good and ready when race time came.

During my warm-up I checked in on the cat 4 race a few times. Thad Neil was duking it out at the front of the pack, and was out on a break for a while.


Later Chris Hansen came from the pack to win the sprint at the end of the race. Congratulations Chris!


Before my race started, Thad advised me to go hard into the first corner and try to be the first one there. That way others wouldn’t slow me down with sketchy bike handling skills.

I did that, and was the first one into the corner. WhooHoo! But I dug myself a little hole doing it. While I recovered from that effort, five guys got past me and built a little gap. That left me pulling the rest of the field (about 11 more guys?). I’m not sure cause I didn’t do a lot of looking back.

That went on for a while. I started looking back for someone else to help on the front, and even talked to one of the DMOS guys in a corner about working together to catch the leaders. He said he was barely hanging on. So I kept pulling. After a little bit teammate Nick Wooley came to the front and took a few pulls. Thanks Nick! I could tell that it took everything he had to work his way to the front, so he didn’t last long up there. Another great help was the all of the encouragement from the crowd. That really kept me going!

I looked behind me a little later and it was down to 4-5 orange DMOS guys behind me. Once again, I was the only one doing any time on the front. Slackers! I tried to break away from them a few times, but could not make it stick from my position in the front.

Finally I decided I had enough. I soft pedaled, and even coasted some. I waved and joked with the crowd, and we slowed all the way down to 13-14 mph before the slackers would move out front and take a pull. I followed them for about a lap and a half, and then decided that I could go faster without them. I went on a break in a corner and this time I made it stick (for a while). Thad said they looked a little lost without me there to pull them around. Even without me, none of them would take a pull.

With all of the messing around, the lead group, which had been working nicely together, was about to lap up to us. So I sat up, let the DMOS slackers and the lead group catch me. Then I worked for position to stay with the lead group to the finish. What I could hear from the sidelines at the finish line was “Don’t let any orange finish in front of you, Paul!”

As far as I can tell I finished in 6th of 16. I didn’t want to wait around for results, and it really didn’t matter. Placing wasn’t as important to me as how I felt about my performance.

If I could have just stayed with the lead group on the opening lap, it might have been a different race. As it was, it was fun to mix it up, try to make some breaks stick, fight for position in corners, etc. It was all of that stuff I used to be afraid of. Hmm. I guess it’s time to shave the legs. I’m hooked.

10 comments:

mr. f. g. superman said...

What a lack of courtesy! Good job working with what you had!

BB said...

Don't shave your legs! If you do shave them, next will be the chest hair and the armpits. And before you know it, the head.

Then before long, you'll change your name to Paulio Varnumera and weigh about 165 pounds. People will stop and stare.

Put the baggies on. Go ride some singletrack and finish it off with a beer or two. ;-)

Anonymous said...

hey, great job this weekend! you worked your ass off against those DMOS guys and it was AWESOME to see you put it to them like that with there being 5 of them and one of you!

again, awesome race!

Paul Varnum said...

Ineb -

What I hear from others, there is a lack of courtesy from some in road racing circles. Oh, well. That's a part of racing.

Bruce -

The leg shaving was inevitable. Head is mostly shaved already. People already stop and stare. But, not to worry, I spent the day in baggies riding urban bike and drinking beer at the DSM tri.

I would like to try out 180 lbs though.

Bryan - It was a lot of fun! It would have been more fun to been in the lead group . . . next time.

BB said...

You think shaving your legs will get you down to 180 lbs.? ;-)

Do you know of anyone on Team 14 that is planning on doing the 4 hour marathon this Saturday in the Psycowpath race at Ponca State Park in Nebraska?

I was considering the solo 4 hour ride, but would also consider the team event of 2 riders splitting the laps in the 4 hour ride. That would be 2 hours each and easier to recover from to get ready for Boone the following Sunday.

Carney said...

Paul, so I've got this idea....I'm thinking getting a bunch of people together for a night ride, nothing too crazy, just a good time up at Petersons and maybe some gravel....maybe even a beverage stop or two. Think anyone would be interested??

Thaddeus Neil said...

Paul ~ Great ride on Saturday. You rode really smart. We'll keep coaching you and helping you learn tactics. I really don't think your that far away from winning one of those things. Again, awesome ride!!!!

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce -
Shaving getting me down to 180? My legs were hairy, but not that hairy. Crap, is Boone only 12 days away? Crap. I haven't even ridden there once this year, and it's supposed to be my home court. Again, Crap!

I thought long and hard about doing the race at Ponca this weekend, but I'll pass. Four hours of driving each way is just too much for me. I'll send an e-mail to the other team members to see if we can generate some interest. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Carney - I'm in for some local night dirt. Are you back in town now? Let me know so I can charge my lights. What day/night were you thinking? I'm sure we could suck some others into some late night craziness. You doing the Boone 24 this year? $1000 this year to the winner. It could be yours.

Thad -

Thanks for the kind words. I've never felt as strong as I did on Saturday afternoon. Thanks for everything you've done for/to me. Every good result I get is because of you.

Carney said...

Yeah, I'm back in town for a while now...gotta do laundry sometime!! i was thinking sometime early next week sometime. I'll talk to some of the guys at the shop and get some people in.

Paul Varnum said...

Carney -

That sounds cool. Let me know. I'll try to drum up a few others to go.

Rodrigo -

Boa vinda a meu domicílio humble. Agradecimentos para parar perto. Sorte boa com o negócio do t-shirt.