Thursday, May 15, 2008

Something to Write About

After a few uneventful weeks of riding to work, I have something to report.

Like I said, most days are uneventful. I have a few challenging intersections (Grand and Lincolnway, 24th and Northwestern, Crossing US 69), but for the most part my commute is pretty uneventful. Most days, I'm surprised to see a car until I'm most of the way to work.

Today I decided to leave work early, and get in a little extra seat time. Good for me. I've been needing that lately. On the way home, on one of the most innocuous sections of the pavement, a Honda Ridgeline passed me. I remember it because I thought to myself, "Honda Ridgleline, I should get me one of those". After the Honda passed me, he pulled off on the right side of the road at a left turn in the road. That made me nervous. As I approached the left turn, he proceeded do a "U" tun right in front of me! WTF!

I had to lay the bike down to avoid hitting him. He stopped to see that I was OK, but when I said I was going to call he police, he said that he had other stuff to do, and could not be bothered to stick around to see how it turned out for me and my bike. Then he took off.

As it turns out, he ran over my bike, ruining the seat and the rear wheel. At the time I didn't realize that he had run over my bike. It wasn't until later when I was taking pictures that I saw how close a call I had.

Here you go:



Tire tracks across the seat and seat bag.



\


His u-turn tracks right in front of me.




My right knee.



Trashed seat.

Believe it or not, I rode this one home. It hurt!

Story County Deputy Caligiuri doing the CSI thing. He was very cool about everything.

BTW, he is rocking in Oakleys.




He did every thing he could to gather evidence.





Some single track on a different bike will fix my mood.

This perp will be paying a price. I've been told that he will be charged with "Leaving the scene", at a minimum. Other charges may be pending.

When I asked the deputy about recovering expenses for damages, he suggested small claims court. I don't care how much time it takes. I'll be doing that!

18 comments:

Carney said...

Damn! Hope everything works out in your favor! How's that knee feeling?

Paul Varnum said...

Carney -

The knee (and everthing else) is mostly OK. It is no worse that any other crash. I'm just glad he ran over the bike, and not me.

Paul said...

Paul, I am glad you are ok! That had to be scary as hell!

Make him pay for all of us cyclists out there!

Anonymous said...

sue him for all hes worth :)

and i like how u took a picture of the sherrif taking a picture of the crime scene...nice!

Paul Varnum said...

Paul -

It happened so fast that I neer really had time for "scary as hell". I went straight from "having a nice ride", to "pissed as hell".

Tittes -

I asked the deputy before I took any pictures. He was wearing a gun after all. I just wish I would have had the presence of mid to take pictures of the perp and his truck.

BB said...

I know where you can order a carbon cage gun holder for the bike. ;-]

Glad to hear you are okay and that it was the bike, not you, that got run over by the Ridgeline.

Is your seatpost okay? Better check the seat tube as well for any hairline cracks....

Paul Varnum said...

Bruce -

Yup, I was gonna to do just that. I'm afraid that is the one place where the guy is gonna get lucky. The seat tube is a Thompson (pretty bullet proof), and the frame is my Surly Steamroller. Steel bends, it don't break. But I'll check it over real good before the court date.

bontrag said...

wow, crazy stuff, I hope you got a license plate. That really gets you thinking, I go around assuming I've got the stupidity of some of these folks figured out, but then a story like this comes along. Hope you got things straightened out. Let me know if you need anything.

Paul Varnum said...

Bontrag,

Yup. I got a license number, and the Deputy says it matches the description of the vehicle that I gave, so he's going to pay the guy a visit.

Never underestimate the stupidity of car pilots. Always assume they are out to get you. That's what I take away from this.

Pete Basso said...

Paul, glad you're ok, that was pretty crazy.

Paul Varnum said...

Pete -

Yup on both counts.

bontrag said...

Ahh, good, hopefully the dumbass learns a lesson. Either way, glad you're alright. Should find out how many more situations like this there are, and try to raise awareness a bit. Ragbrai isn't the only time that Iowans ride!

Anonymous said...

Darn it Paul be careful!!! Nick

Paul Varnum said...

Bontrag -

Not sure how I would go about that. A friend a work said he saw another bike under a car on Friday, so there is at least one more of us.

Nick -

I was being careful! The only way I could have avoided this one was to stay home, and I ain't doing that.

Anonymous said...

WHAT A JERK!!!! Glad You are ok, Nick

Paul Varnum said...

Nick -

Lets just say that I was suprised by both his action, and his reaction.

Steve Fuller said...

I'm late to the show on this one Paul. Glad you are OK and I'm also glad you had the presence of mind to get his license number. Please let us know how the court appearance goes

Anonymous said...

Excuse, that I interrupt you, but you could not give more information.