Sunday, January 06, 2008

Snow Bike

I've got the "Ice Tank" all rigged up for some snow and ice riding. Today the opportunity presented itself to actually ride offroad in the snow. But I had to do it quick before all of the snow melted and the trails turned into muck. Temps in the mid 40's in January? I've got to do something. After taking the dog for a walk this morning, I looked at the trails and thought "I can ride this slop". I was mostly right.

It looks harmless, but the going is actually pretty hard! 3 inches of slop will do that. Imagine riding through a margarita.



I even got into the woods some. In areas where the snow was tracked down, the riding was pretty sweet. In the more remote areas, not so good.



I got some strange looks, and some incredulous comments. "I can believe you're riding your bike back here", and "Don't you fall alot?" Yeah, I do fall alot, just not today.

The views were worth it.



Maybe if it freezes up, the woods will be ridable again.

6 comments:

Carney said...

Hey Paul. I'm heading back to Ames this weekend one last time before finally moving to Fort Collins. If it's nice maybe a ride is in order!

Paul Varnum said...

That would be great! Right now Sunday sounds like the better day. Wanna say Sunday, 10:00, Ada Hayden north shelter?

Oh, and all are welcome.

Paul said...

I should be there.

Paul Varnum said...

Cool. Sunday 10:00 it is. I hope Carney can make it!

Lance H Andre said...

Great winter biking blog (currently), I should take lessons and take a decent camera with me (cell phone sucks).

Paul Varnum said...

Hey Lance -

I've been following your winter race through a few other blogs. I'm not sure how I got to be a winter rider. I guess it's because I live on a gravel road, and ride with a few guys that don't know when to stop riding their bikes.

Check out my Jan 27, 2007 post for a couple of good winter riding pictures.